Official State Travel Site


Motorcoach Regulations

To avoid potential delays, register your ICC authority and purchase the necessary permits in advance of your trip(s). Call either:

Montana Department of Transportation

406-444-6200 or

to initiate the required permitting process. The necessary permits will be sent directly to you prior to your tour departure(s). MasterCard and Visa credit cards are accepted by the Montana Department of Transportation for the required fuel user's permits and temporary trip permits.

We want your travel in Montana to be enjoyable and trouble-free. Stop at the first open weigh station to show your identification and purchase permits not previously obtained. Priority attention will be given motorcoaches to ensure that your tour is detained no more than 15 minutes. After the paperwork is verified and the courtesy 72-hour permits issued, your motorcoach may "roll through" subsequent weigh stations throughout Montana.

The following information highlights the motorcoach regulatory guidelines outlined by Montana law.

Registration of ICC Authority

Before entering Montana, register your FHWA (ICC) authority with the Single State Registration System (SSRS) in your base jurisdiction and pay the $5 per vehicle fee to them. If your base jurisdiction does not participate in this program you may juse a jurisdiction that does. For more information contact:

Montana Department of Transportation

Motor Carrier Services Division
P.O. Box 4639, Helena, MT 59604

Temporary Trip Permit

A temporary trip permit must be purchased from the Department of Highways based on the number of miles you will travel in Montana and the gross vehicle weight. Rates for gross vehicle as follows:

Up to 200 miles $10
200 to 400 miles $15
Over 400 miles $20

However, if you operate out of one of the states that belong to the International Registration Plan (IRP) and are licensed under the IRP with Montana shown on a cab card, reciprocity is granted. For more information contact:

Montana Department of Transportation

Motor Carrier Services Division
P.O. Box 4639, Helena, MT 59604

Temporary Fuel User's Trip Permit

You must either purchase a temporary fuel user's trip permit or be licensed under the International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA).

Purchase the $30 temporary fuel user's permit from the Department of Transportation, Gross Vehicle Division (listed below) or from a weigh station as you enter Montana. These temporary permits are valid for 72 hours. If you leave the state and then reenter, a new temporary fuel user's trip permit must be purchased. For extended stays of more than 72 hours, contact the Department of Transportation at the address shown below to make the necessary permitting arrangements.

For more information on the special fuel user's license or the International Fuel Tax Agreement, contact:

Montana Department of Transportation

Motor Fuels Tax Division
P.O. Box 4639, Helena, MT 59604

Vehicle Registration

Must be currently registered in base jurisdiction through the IRP. For some Canadian jurisdictions, you must be registered through the UPA or you can purchase a temporary trip permit.

Charter Bus Companies

Beach Transportation Co.

825 Mount Ave., Missoula, MT 59801-5607
Fax: 406-549-5445

Beach Transportation offers a state-of-the-art fleet of luxury motorcoaches, school buses, mini-buses and SUVs for charter throughout the United States and Canada. Courteous professional drivers. National safety award winner. Handicapped accessible. Fully licensed and insured. Free estimates. Quality transportation services for more than 60 years.

Karst Stage, Inc.

511 N. Wallace, Bozeman, MT 59715
406-586-8567 (24 hours)
Fax 406-586-8312

Pick up points:

Full ICC Authority US and Canada, interstate groups at all points in Montana. Intrastate groups in Billings, Bozeman, Butte, Helena, West Yellowstone, and Livingston.


Twelve 47-passenger MCI Coaches with A/C, PA, stereo, restroom and lounge tables. Two 48 passenger Prevost coaches with A/C, PA, stereo, restroom, galley, VHS video system and lounge tables. 40 passenger MCI - VIP coach with A/C, PA, restroom, galley, VHS video system and lounge table. Two mini-buses and 17-passenger with A/C, PA, stereo and reclining seats. Six transit buses.

Additional services:

Mechanical, cleaning, garaging and one Stop Shop for Big Sky Ski and Summer Resort, Helena, Billings, Bozeman, Red Lodge and West Yellowstone. Total transportation packaging for groups or conventions.

Rocky Mountain Transportation

1410 E. Edgewood Dr., Whitefish, MT 59937
406-863-1200 (24 hours)

Pick-up points:

Kalispell, Whitefish, Great Falls, Glacier National Park, Libby, Polson, Cut Bank.


15-passenger vans. MCI including 102C3 47-passenger coach with A/C, restroom, video, telephone and PA.

Unique and original shuttle of three mid-sized coaches with air conditioning and large windows for viewing. All major trail heads are visited on a varied schedule. The way to see Going-to-the-Sun Highway without stress and hassle.

Tucker Transportation

445 Centennial Ave, Butte, MT 59701
Fax: 406-723-4411

Pick-up points:

Full authority, operating in all states and Canada.


49- and 47-passenger motorcoaches with A/C, PA, reclining seats, restrooms, video and telephone. 25 passenger coach with reclining seats, A/C, video and telephone. One school bus and surburbans for smaller groups.

Additional services:

Cleaning, dumping and garaging.

Train Service

Amtrak passenger service parallels US 2 along the Hi-Line in northern Montana. Passenger depot stops, from west to east, are in Libby, Whitefish, Glacier Park, Browning, Cut Bank, Shelby, Havre, Malta, Glasgow and Wolf Point. Trains run daily, east and west.


Air Service

Air Service

Montana has air service to and from the following towns:

  1. Billings
  2. Bozeman
  3. Butte
  4. Glasgow
  5. Glendive
  6. Great Falls
  7. Havre
  8. Helena
  9. Kalispell
  10. Lewistown
  11. Miles City
  12. Missoula
  13. Sidney
  14. Whitefish
  15. Wolf Point
  16. Yellowstone

For information on which airlines fly into each town Click here.

This site is a service of the Montana Office of Tourism, Department of Commerce. Please send comments and suggestions to All contents copyright 2009, Montana Office of Tourism. All rights reserved. Please visit us again at